Don’t let the static get you down! Hair and make-up perfect, ready for the Holiday party; scarf comes off and POOF goes the static. We’ve all been there, and it’s frustrating when after spending so much time and energy getting ready, to suddenly look like you put your finger into an electrical socket. We have some tips to help the situation.
Static happens more in the Winter because the air is dry, allowing for friction to build up, causing crazy fly-away hair. Keeping your locks looking luscious and shining bright like those twinkly Christmas Lights (or Menorah candles) is easier than you think.
1) Change up your Shampoo Switch to a more moisturizing, or heavier shampoo and conditioner during the Winter months. With the lack of moisture in the air, your hair is searching for extra hydration. Everyone is different, so it’s best to ask your stylist for some suggestions on what to use.
2) Invest in a natural Bristle brush Back in the day, they said you should brush your hair 100 times before bed. Well, there is some truth to it. Natural bristle brushes are the only fiber that oil and product can adhere to. Brushing your hair with natural fibers, such as boar bristle, will allow your scalp’s natural oil or styling product to disperse into the hair evenly, giving your hair equal moisture, from root to end.
3) Lay off the hot water Avoid scalding hot showers. The high heat pulls out more moisture than your hair can handle. While cold winter days call for some heat, try to avoid extreme temps on your locks. They can get seriously stressed out.
4) Conditioning treatments and hair masks
Not a hype, a real deal hair helper. We talk so much about the Davines Circle Chronicles treatments because they really work. The Quick Fix is a three minute mask that helps bolster your hair’s moisture levels. The more moisture your hair has, the less it searches for it environmentally. BONUS! The Quick Fix is $11 and has 3-5 uses in it. CRAZY AWESOME!
5) Lay off the wine
Just kidding, but alcohol in your products, yes. Make sure your volume boosting products are alcohol free. It will dry your hair and add more drama to your frizz.
6) Do not skip out on the trims Split ends just keep splitting. Come January, when we’ve had our 60th snow storm in 13 days, and you just cannot bare to get out of your sweats, don’t let your hair suffer. The dry air and neglect can cause an avalanche of bad hair days if you don't maintain your regular cleanups.
7) Oil is your friend
Using a hydrating oil when your finished styling will provide a layer of moisture prevent your ends from getting attached or transferring static to. A small amount goes a long way and if you normally don't like to use an oil on your locks invest in travel size products to get you through the months!
Last but not least, make sure to take care of yourself. Drink lots of water and get tons of sleep.
The Holidays can be awesome, but they also bring exhaustion and fatigue, affecting way more than just your hair. Be kind to yourself and be sure to hydrate.
Lots of Love!! XO, CHS